Wednesday, August 3, 2011

300 Days (To Ka'anapali)

On July 10 I figured out that there were exactly 300 days until our family trip to Ka'anapali Beach, Maui. (I have some sort of DNA code that causes me to do this kind of thing occasionally.) I used this bit of information as a catalyst to begin (yet again) a weight-loss/get in shape program.

As an incentive to success I informed all of my children about it and now I'm informing my vast audience of blog readers as well.

Every 30 days I'm going to track my weight loss, resting heart rate, blood pressure, and signs of better health. I am also getting back in the pool. Since I started working at the embassy I haven't had the time to do my lap swimming (at least that's been my excuse). I now find the time after work. If there's thunder and lightening after work, as there often is here in Malaysia in the afternoon, I will work out in the gym. (Just rain won't keep me from swimming). Already I'm back to swimming over 1,000 meters. I'm not sure what my goal will be for swimming, but I'm thinking a mile each day or maybe even an hour each day.

This time I am not following any particular diet plan, but am practicing what some have called "Intuitive Eating." I recognize that my eating habits have been unhealthy and misguided. For many years I have skipped breakfast. I'm never hungry in the morning and I convince myself that by skipping breakfast, when I'm not hungry anyway, so much the better for weight loss. I now force myself to at least have a bagel in the morning. (Jillian and Bob would approve, I'm sure). I eat a balanced and nutricious lunch as well. Evening eating has been my downfall. I'm trying to follow the same rules for dinner as for lunch. I'll have a snack of an apple and a handful of nuts after my workout, and some veggies and 4 - 6 oz. of fish or meat. I'm trying to stay away from simple carbs, sugar, flour, starches, etc., but I'm not going to be a Nazi about it. If I want a cookie, I'll have A cookie and try my best not to bend the rules and have a dozen cookies.

I think it's important that this plan will be a priority in my life. I will say "no" more often when asked to do things that would torpedo my plan. My plan is more important to me than being accepting, agreeable, dutiful, even when it comes to things that are also important, but less so. (Requests from Tobi will continue to have an appropriately high priority; marital bliss being of the highest importance ;>)

I feel that I owe it to myself firstly, but also to Tobi, to my children and my grandchildren to be the best husband, father and grandfather (great-grandfather?) that I can be.

Other than my weight I am starting this program in fairly good condition. At my last check-up in November, my doctor said that I have the heart of a lion. I'm still not sure if that was a backhanded compliment considering a lion's diet, but, desiring to keep everything in the best possible light, I didn't ask him. My blood tests indicate that everything is within "normal" ranges and my total cholesterol is 179, with HDL and LDL in a good range as well. My resting pulse rate is below 60 bpm and my BP is about 135/80, although at present both of those factors are influenced by small doses of BP medication. Most of the time I sleep very well for about 6 - 7 hours per night, aided by my C-pap machine. (That's a whole 'nother blog post)

Anyway, that's what I'm up to these days. My first update is due on August 9th at the 270-day mark, so stay tuned.

Scott

1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK Uncle Scott!
    I enjoyed your post and can't wait for the BEFORE and AFTER pics! I assume those will make it to your blog?? lol

    ReplyDelete