Monday, August 12, 2013

38 Wonderful Years!

Since it has been nearly 3 years since our last blog post, I thought it was about time for another attempt. And, since today is our 38th Anniversary, I decided to include a letter I wrote to Tobi for her 60th birthday.  It is also included in the book that my daughter, Jennie produced for her on that occasion.


Dear Tobi,

As I was thinking about what to write to you in celebration of your 60th Birthday I began to reminisce about some of the highlights of our past together.  It's hard to believe that 40 years have passed since that day when I went to church at the beginning of the fall semester at BYU in 1973 and saw you for the first time.  I regret that I was a bit slow on the uptake and didn't act on my initial desire to get to know you immediately.  I didn't know who you were then, just that you were this petite little blonde-haired girl with incredible blue eyes and that you were as pretty as the morning.

Over the next year or so, as I divested myself of my many hang-ups and hangers-on, and as you worked your way through the many (many) boys who were also captivated by your beauty and personality, we became friends.  To this day I am so grateful that we were fast friends before it bloomed into something more.

Our first date was in September 1974 and as we began to see more of each other I began to appreciate other things about you.  You were smart, you were well grounded and not the least bit dramatic as so many other girls were.  I learned that I could trust in your advice and in your wisdom, and I benefitted from following your lead, particularly in relationship matters.  As we walked around the BYU campus together (with you taking three steps to my two), I was proud to have you at my side, holding my hand.

Somewhere along the line I began an inward conversation with myself about what I was looking for in a lifetime partner, and it began to dawn on me that you, more than anyone I had ever been close to, had the capacity to make me happy forever.

When I made the decision that I wanted to marry you, I went to our Heavenly Father in prayer and asked for His confirmation.  I received the answer more strongly than any I had ever received before, that my decision was good.  I felt a sense of peace and happiness that I had rarely felt before and from that moment I knew that you would be my eternal companion.

You have brought so much happiness into my life.  You gave me five chilren to love here on earth, and I feel that there are other spirits waiting for us in heaven who are part of our family too.  Through them we have been blessed with 11 beautiful grandchildren (so far), and when I think about how much I love each of them, children and grandchildren, it seems like it's just a vast expansion of the love that I feel for you.

When I look at you today I still see a pretty little blonde-haired girl with amazing blue eyes.

In the spring of our lives we met and fell in love, and our five wonderful children came to join us.  In the summer we raised them to be honorable and good and faithful and we went through trials together and through them, gained strength and understanding.  Now the leaves are changing and there is a crispness in the air as we walk hand-in-hand down the trail through the trees (you taking three steps to my two).  Up ahead there is a bend in the trail and we can't see what's beyond it.  But with you by my side I look forward to whatever it may be.

I love you,

Scott

No comments:

Post a Comment