Sunday, December 6, 2009

We love the Missionaries

We had District Conference today and after the meeting we were slowly making our way out of the building stopping to visit friends here and there. We have a new Mission President, President Clark and his wife and I got to visiting together. Scott was visiting another Brother from India that not only knew his parents when they were on their mission in Goa but also our Nephew Jay, who also served a mission in Bangalore. The Elders were talking to the Sister Missionaries about how hungry they were and how they were wishing someone would invite them to dinner. I was completely engrossed in talking to Sis. Clark that I hadn't picked up on the clue but Scott heard them (they were very loud and looking at us) and said that maybe we could invite the Missionaries to dinner (also very loud). We told them we didn't have anything prepared but if they would be willing to help prepare the dinner they were welcome.
What a fun time we had looking through the free
zer and refrigerator trying to put together a dinner. We actually didn't do too bad. We had lots of mashed potatoes. I boiled and cut up chicken breasts and put them in
to the chicken gravy Scott had made. We then had carrots and yellow squash that we sauteed in butter with some dried onions and then added a little bit of parmesan cheese. A nice big green salad with avocados, tomatoes and red bell peppers added a nice touch. And to end the dinner we had yummy chocolate cake. I think I told the Missionaries that we didn't have any dessert and just as we were getting into our car to go home, President Renner's wife, Anne, gave us a chocolate cake that she had brought for her children to eat on the way home. They live an hour away. She h
ad heard the conversation between us and the Missionaries. I was so grateful for that Chocolate cake. It really finished off the dinner beautifully.
Everyone worked together, by peeling and cutting up the potatoes and other vegetables and setting the table and before too long we were sitting around the table eating our feast.

(In the picture to the right you can see Elder Wall from Park City, Utah, Sister Viehweg from Idaho, Elder Mattox from Florida, an investigator named Kong, and Sister McCurdy, also from Utah. Behind the couch next to Scott is Adrien, a recent convert.)

Along with the Missionaries we also had a new investigator, Mr. Kong and a new convert,
Adrian. We visited and t
old stories and laughed so hard at many of the stories the Missionaries
told. Scott got in a few of his old Missionary stories that I love to hear again and again.

Scott asked me if this reminded me of dinners around our table at home with our own children and it sure did. These wonderful Missionaries sure fill the hole in my heart at being away from my family.
Afterwards, we started to
clean up and then I remembered that the Sister Missionaries are singing in a special number with me and a few
other sisters for our Ward Relief Society Christmas Dinner so while the m
en finished cleaning the kitchen (and they did a fantastic job) we practiced our song.

It was a wonderful end to a perfect day.

1 comment:

  1. I miss being a missionary right now!! And I would have LOVED to have members like you guys while I was a missionary. Fun Fun.

    ReplyDelete