Saturday, April 11, 2009

Eating Breakfast is an observation on the World

I know I have told you how much I enjoy breakfast here at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel.  I am going to take my camera down there tomorrow and show you the set ups they have to feed people from all over the world.  It is fascinating as well as sooooo good.  Most of the time I eat breakfast with very few people around, but this morning I had breakfast alone and later than usual and the place was packed.  It gave me an opportunity to observe all the different people and their modes of dress, but what really interested me is how different we all eat.

For example,  we Americans eat holding our fork in our right hands (right-handed  people).  We cut our food with our right hand then put the knife down and pick up our fork and scoop up the food and eat.  Europeans turn their forks around and use their knives to help them get food speared unto the back of the fork and then shovel the food inside their mouths.  The Malaysians use a big spoon in their right hands and use a fork to push the food onto their spoon and then in the mouth it goes.  The Orientals, when not using their chop sticks, use their forks just like Americans do except they tend to rest their left forearm from elbow to hand completely on the table, hunching themselves a little over the table while eating.  The one thing I haven't figured out is how the Muslim women who are completely covered up except for their eyes get the food into their mouths, I didn't want to stare at them while they ate.

Anyway I thought it was interesting.  I wonder if Scott and I will adopt any of these methods of eating.  Kind of like the way the Malaysians do it.


No comments:

Post a Comment